There’s a saying that the kitchen is the heart of your home. That’s a little trite, but still true. The kitchen update is THE first element that I hear about from new clients wanting to plan a remodel. In any house, of any era, the kitchen is one of the most complex, expensive, and personally specific parts of the house.
So … your kitchen update serves as a microcosm of your whole home remodel. It is just as complicated and important alone as a whole house overhaul can be.
That means we can approach it in much the same way that I would approach any full remodel plan for a mid-century house. If you’ve been listening to the podcast for a while … you know that means I’m going to say we should have a masterplan to do it well.
So here’s my advice. Planning for a kitchen update doesn’t really start with Pinterest or Instagram or Shelter magazines showing you what other people have done.
It starts with you, your family, and your current kitchen.
In Today’s Episode You’ll Hear:
- What’s coming up in this season – it will be all kitchen updates all the time around here for the next few weeks [0:50]
- Why we can also use a Kitchen update as a microcosm of the entire remodel process [2:45]
- A quick spin through the ten steps any smart home remodel process will include as applied to your kitchen update [4:35]
- Focus on the first phase of the process (this one gets skipped entirely WAY too often). You need to start from what you WANT out of a remodel and where you are starting from – the house you have right now [7:20]
- Three through exercises you can use to help get clear on what you want your remodel to do for you (as opposed to just what you want it to look like) [9:15]
- News from Mid Mod Midwest: we are a team of three now! [13:20]
- Recent updates to our custom Midcentury Masterplan Package process. If you’re planning to give us a call listen to this [14:40]