Need more space (desperately) but don’t want to plan an addition? What if I told you you’re sitting on top of doubling-your-square-footage right now. No, I’m not a Wizard. I’m just talking about your basement! Pretty much every midwestern house has got one and in a one story ranch they are the same shape as the house up above. Is a basement transformation in your future?
I’ll ask you this … are you making the best use of your basement right now?
Plus, the thing you need to create a super hangout spot – or a variety of necessary new spaces in your home – isn’t money or even necessary your time and labor … it’s design.
Let’s get into the qualities of a great finished basement and then workshop how you can transform yours at any budget or skill level – from simply DIY to full General Contractor led renovation.
Plan a great Basement Transformation
For a good finished basement plan to do the following:
- Plan spaces that match your (and your family’s) lifestyle
- Bring in LOTS of natural light
- Maximize your ceiling height (really every inch counts)
- Get the proportions right
- Connect well to the upstairs spaces
- Finish the basement to the same quality of your upstairs spaces
In today’s episode you’ll hear …
- That the Ready To Remodel course is coming back, again! Sign up on the waitlist to make sure you get first notice when I open enrollment! [1:25]
- GOOD NEWS! Great design doesn’t always mean high end finishes. You can hyper charge your remodel with good design ideas and get a lot for a sm all budget! [5:12]
- Common problems with basements you need to fix [7:59 ]
- Qualities of great finished basement to shoot for … regardless of your budget. [9:28]
- DIY fixes for a basement on a budget [13:01]
- More involved remodeling projects you can take on yourself [14:36]
- How to plan for a contractor led remodel [18:03]
Listen now on
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- We may all be working from home forever now (per the Atlantic)!
- Listen to the episode on Togetherness and Apartness in MCM homes
- A Pattern Language: Alexander, Ishikawa, and Silverstein
- Home by Design: Sarah Susanka
- The dimension of an Amtrak roomette are a perfect alcove
- Learn more about Level 1, 2 and 3 Remodeling
- additionJoin us on in the Facebook Community for Mid Mod Remodel
- Find me on Instagram:@midmodmidwest
- Find the podcast on Instagram: @midmodremodelpodcast